So I tried to make london broil. Issue: We don't have a grill. We LOVE grilled food... especially any steaks. Steak, IMO is only really good at a restaurant or grilled. We live in a condo and though we have no where to keep a grill and each summer we get depressed knowing we have to go elsewhere to enjoy some good BBQ. My husband loves red meat and red meat comes out disgusting when it's cooked inside, IMO but alas I tried it and here's what happened.
I broiled it. I did 5-8 minutes on each side as recommended. Well 4 mins into the first side the freekin' smoke alarm starts going off. Panicking I ripped it from the ceiling downstairs (let's hope hubby can fix that when he gets up). Since he was sleeping I didn't want it to go off so I removed the battery... well it works without it. Good in case of fire... bad when there's no fire and honestly no real smoke... there was some smoke but not fire like smoke. THEN the upstairs alarm, outside the bedroom door went off. Yup, he woke up... not too excited but he went back to sleep. It went off a few more times after that and I was near tears thinking "why didn't I just get takeout?"
So anyway I made the following.
London Broil marinated in this Jack Daniels Mesquite marinade.
Mashed red potatoes with cream cheese and dill.
Mushrooms with garlic and butter.
Asparagus with lemon, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. (This is how I usually make it. I usually cook it in the oven but since I was broiling I just sauteed it on the stove and it came out fine).
So ya. Nothing can ever go smoothly. My entire house smells like meat now and to top it off it was incredibly overcooked and dry. Yes, I let the meat stand before slicing, it still sucked.
I must apologize for being MIA. Honestly I am so stressed looking for employment that I didn't want to deal with cooking and for the last 2-3 weeks we have just been ordering out everyday. I should have ordered out today too.







5 comments:
I have always had troubles cooking red meat. I hate rare steak so I tend to overcook it and then I'm gnawing on shoe leather. I avoid cooking steak for anyone but myself since I know at least I'll eat it. Sad but true heheh.
ok that looks like an awesome meal!!!! and i am stealing your idea for asparagus since I am on a love affair with it right now. lol
My smoke detectors go off every time I cook anything. I could microwave for 5 minutes and it goes off...so dont feel too badly
That looks yummy, sorry that you set off the smoke alarms though lol!! I finally added your blog button here: http://designsbyvanessa.blogspot.com/2007/01/lovely-links.html
It looks yummy. Get a grill pan and try london broil and any red meat again. It is a great invention.
Blueeyez, it's so hard to cook red meat! It kills me! :(
LMAO Sarah at least we know our detectors work haha.
Thanks Vanessa! :-)
I do need a grill pan Lauren. I always say I am going to get when then never do LOL. I need to JUST DO IT! haha
Post a Comment