Monday, April 12, 2010

I love asparagus!!!!!


One thing I have learned in attempting to cook is to borrow recipes from family. My mother was a great cook and always tried new things, and had variety on the table. Something I am lacking.

Creamed asparagus is an easy recipe my mother passed on to me that I can actually handle.

Ingredients Needed: Asparagus, milk, flour, salt and pepper



1. Snapped off ends of asparagus, Cut up remainder into small pieces






2. Boil chopped asparagus until tender.


3. Drain a little!  you need to leave some water in their  for flavor.

*** I learned this the hard way  the first time I tried this and it had no flavor at all. I drained it completely.**



4. Melt butter, about 3 tablespoons, and some milk  in a saucepan.

5. Add to  asparagus  and mix in about 1.5 tablespoons of  flour. (if you want it thicker add more)

6. Flavor with salt and pepper taste

I really love this as a winter or fall side dish but I guess Asparagus is a very versatile item as you can do a lot with it.

WHAT WAYS DO YOU COOK ASPARAGUS?  give us some inspiration.




5 comments:

Erin on April 12, 2010 at 8:03 PM said...

I don't really eat asparagus often, so I don't have a recipe. But I've learned that if you hold the stalk with one hand at both ends and then bend it, the place that it naturally breaks is best. I can't remember why for the life of me, though. Haha!

Sounds really good, though!

Meeka on April 13, 2010 at 7:36 PM said...

Lol Erin I've heard the same thing. I assume it's because the stalk might get hard where it was cut originally so it should break att the top of that leaving just fresh asparagus? I could be wrong but that's what I figured.

I like to fry my asparagus just a bit with butter and lemon then season with salt, pepper and garlic. Or I've added parmesan cheese to that mix too. It's good stuff :P

Sarah - Daydream Ink on April 13, 2010 at 7:57 PM said...

oh thanks for the idea on cooking! sound great and Im trying that next time.

My mom taught me the same trick with asparagus actually.

~Elizabeth aka Lacquered Lizard on April 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM said...

I add asparagus to my pasta whenever I do alfredo. Chicken alfredo, shrimp alfredo....and sometimes, I'll just do asparagus and artichoke heart alfredo pasta. YUM

Sarah - Daydream Ink on April 30, 2010 at 6:31 PM said...

That sounds like a good option over pasta. I need to try that.

Post a Comment

 

Kitchen Catastrophes Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice